And cook I did! Last week, we had an Easter Feast which at 1 PM was going to be eaten by sweet hubby and me..... alone. But then we invited some new friends and before we knew it, we had 6 guests for Easter dinner. These are the remains...
I've been reading MWF seeking BFF, which for anyone else who is feeling the late-twenties friendship vacuum, I highly recommend. I am incredibly blessed with a life full of wonderful and fulfilling relationships, but none of those wonderful people live here in Twin Falls, Idaho. On holidays and days of celebration, I become especially aware of the absence of those friends and loved ones. But reading this book has encouraged me to be bolder in my search for local friends. I've also become more aware that authentic people are attractive friends. And my most authentic self likes to cook, entertain, eat, and drink!
So instead of pouting, I decided to cook....and cook and cook and cook. And hope that someone hungry showed up to eat it all. There was potato salad, pimiento cheese, apple pie, chocolate fudge peanut butter cake, coleslaw, pork ribs, ham, Southern green beans, sweet rolls and this melon salad.
And..... can you believe it.... friends appeared and the food was eaten! It was an Easter miracle!
Make this salad and then call a new friend to come eat it with you! Your new local BFF might be waiting!
PROSCIUTTO AND CANARY MELON SALAD
1 Canary Melon (or any ripe in-season melon)
4 thin pieces of prosciutto
2 tablespoons of honey
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
What to do:
1. Slice the melon in half and scoop out the seeds. With a sharp knife, peel the melon and chop into bite-size pieces.
2. In a pan over low heat, warm the prosciutto until warmed through and slightly crisped. Remove from pan and chop into thin strips.
3. In the same pan you warmed the prosciutto, pour in honey, lemon zest and 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice. When honey is thin and liquidy, return the prosciutto to the pan and add chopped basil. Stir to combine.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When cooled, combine honey mixture in a bowl with melon pieces.
5. Chill before serving for at least 1 hour. The longer the better.
I'd love to hear what you think and how you've gone about making new friends in a new city. When do you feel most authentic?
|I shared this recipe here|